Following the independence of Kuwait in June 1961, the Government of India was represented in Kuwait by a Trade Commissioner and thereafter by a Consul General. The representation was upgraded to an Embassy in 1962.
Available records indicate that the Embassy of India was first housed near the Bader Mulla Gardens in Dasma. In 1975, the Embassy of India moved to Building No. 34, Istiqlal Street, Bneid Al-Gar. It remained there until August 1992. Since September 1992, the Embassy is located in Block-5, Building-1, Diplomatic Enclave, Arabian Gulf Street, Daeya Area, Kuwait. The Embassy of India’s postal address is Embassy of India, Diplomatic Enclave, Arabian Gulf Street, PO Box No. 1450-Safat, 13015-Kuwait.
The Embassy of India complex is built on a 4000 Square Meter plot in the Diplomatic Enclave, Arabian Gulf Street, Safat, Kuwait. The land was taken over in 1974, the foundation stone of the complex laid in 1988, construction completed in 1990-91, and the Embassy started functioning from the location in September 1992. The Indian architects of the project are M/s Sabikhi and Choudhury Private Limited.
Overlooking the Arabian Gulf, the Embassy of India complex is an easily recognizable landmark of Kuwait City. The Embassy building and residences and the surrounding boundary wall have been clad with Agra Red sandstone brought from India. Its silhouetted bastions and overall design evoke memories of the world-famous Red Forts at Delhi and Agra.
As per available records, Mr. P.L. Sinai was the Acting Trade Commissioner from November 5, 1961 – December 26, 1961, while Mr. R. Axel Khan was Consul General/Charge D’Affaires from November 12, 1962 – January 29, 1965